Green Card Holders American Immigration Law Office

Re-Entry Permit Lawyer in London

Traveling Permanent Residents Securing Re-Entry into the U.S.

When lawful permanent residents (LPRs) of the United States travel outside of the country for one year or longer, they may be considered to have abandoned their permanent resident status, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This could make them ineligible to re-enter the U.S. as LPRs. Additionally, loss of LPR status can also occur by taking up residence in other countries, even if it is for a period less than a year.

If you are a permanent resident (also known as a green card holder) and you know that you will be in another country for an extended period of time, you can protect your legal status in the U.S. by obtaining a re-entry permit. This permit gives you the opportunity to travel abroad for up to two years without having to apply for a returning resident visa to return the U.S. If you expect to take a long-term trip abroad, the American Immigration Law Office LTD can assist you apply for a re-entry visa. Are you searching for a lawyer for your re-entry permit case in London? Ioana Hyde, the firm's US immigration lawyer in London, is knowledgeable about the United States' immigration policies and can help you understand what you will need to do to protect your LPR status.

How Re-Entry Permits Work

Individuals can only apply for re-entry permits before they leave the U.S., though they can technically have their permit applications approved while they are already traveling (as long as they have submitted their biometrics). Anyone submitting this application (Form I-131) should do so at least 60 days before their date of departure, according to the USCIS. Failing to obtain a re-entry permit before leaving the U.S. for a year or more may result in the traveler having to go before an immigration judge upon return to the USA, who will then determine whether or not LPR status was abandoned.

Consulting with a US Immigration Attorney in London

Your U.S. lawful permanent resident status is not something you want to inadvertently lose. Take the stress out of the re-entry process by ensuring that all the appropriate preparations are made before you leave the United States. While applying for a re-entry permit might seem like a confusing process, Attorney Hyde is here to help you navigate the system. Do you need an attorney for a U.S. re-entry permit case in London? Contact the attorney's London office to schedule a consultation today!

Have Experience On Yourside

Trust American Immigration Law Office
  • Experienced

    Our firm has over 35 years of combined legal experienced and solely focus on immigration matters.

  • Compassionate

    We know how trying immigration matters can be and will be there for you every step of the way.

  • Professional

    Regardless of the size or scope of your case, we take the time with our clients in order to give accurate advice & feedback.

  • Knowledgable

    As a firm that has decades of experience with ESTA and immigration matters, we have the foresight you deserve.